Monday, March 2, 2015 at 02:35PM
- Practically every type of promotional activity is regulated in some way:
- Sweepstakes and contests;
- User generated content on websites and social media;
- Coupons, gift cards and money-back guarantees;
- Charitable solicitations;
- Celebrity endorsements or other testimonials;
- Marketing to children; and
- Even trying to give something away for “free”
- You need official rules for every sweepstakes and contest you conduct. They form a binding contract with the entrants that will help protect you in the event of a dispute.
EXAMPLE: When Kraft mistakenly produced too many winning game pieces for its “Ready to Roll” sweepstakes, they were protected by having a clause in the rules stating they were not liable for printing or production errors.